Come Over When You're Head's Above Water

Sorry y'all I know it's been a while
But it's been because...
Well, You know those months when you just can't pin down a feeling
not for more than just a second, and then it goes away just as fast as your next cup of coffee

well, that's what this one's been like

Well, Maybe it's because
and i've spent this semester packing, and unpacking and packing again
being surrounded by things that seem to mean more than they're worth
just because i was close to someone or something or one of those feelings i want to pin down
when i had it on
and I try to put them all back on in the same order to get it right again.

and for one of the first times
going home didn't set everything straight.
It didn't leave me feeling like this
it sent me back to new york feeling more like this
and i come home to my cluttered corner apartment every night
and get undressed trying to feel this again
trying to shake whatever i rubbed up against in that crowded subway car on the F train
or that tight sidewalk when we were all trying to get somewhere else
whatever i touched that stuck
and then i'm naked and i'm just spent

But it made me realize that a place can't always save you.
And a place won't always let you down.

And i realize this every night as I fall asleep next to a window that I can't see out of
Underneath Christmas lights that I never turn off because I'm afraid I might feel different in the dark.
And then i smoke a cigarette that only makes me cough.
And then I fall asleep and wake up feeling no more refreshed
because I spent too much time dreaming
and all day those dreams feel real and come back in waves
and they seem like more fun than whatever I'm doing
and then as the day goes on they seem like nightmares that won't let me go,
like memories that you can't stop living in.
And then I fall asleep and do it all over again.

I guess I'm just trying to say
whatever.

Until next time.

xx
CMS

0 comments:

Post a Comment